Sunday, 27 July 2014

Sunny spinach and paneer dish


Palak paneer is a familiar dish you will find in an Indian takeaway menu. I tend to think of it as a winter dish but when I was flicking through Made in India - Meera Sodha's wonderful new cookbook - I saw a lighter, summery version of this dish which convinced me to buy the book. I had had a similar thought myself - to make the dish with just wilted fresh spinach, but the red cherry tomatoes shone from the page.  This is my favourite version of the many recipes I have tried and it made a lovely supper, served with plain rice,  sat out in the garden  in the sunshine last night.


Sunflower oil
250g paneer
I medium red onion
20g grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 green chillis, or to taste
200g cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 tablespoon tomato purée, (sundried tomato purée works well too)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric 
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
300g fresh spinach leaves

Cube the paneer and fry them in a little oil until golden. If you are using fresh paneer then frying is not necessary but I still prefer it lightly fried. Drain on a paper towel.

Fry the finely chopped red onions in 2tbs oil until golden. Add the garlic, ginger and chillis and stir for a minute then add the tomatoes and purée. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes until the tomatoes become soft and begin to breakdown. Stir in the spices and season  to taste - I add 1/2 tsp salt. Add the paneer and stir to coat. 

Add the chopped spinach a handful at a time allowing to wilt. Gently cook for a further 5 mins. You can add a squeeze of lime if you like.

 Serve with rice or bread.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for another lovely share for EatYourGreens. I love the sound of this sunny spinach and paneer dish. I've not heard of the cookbooks, so will have a flick through the next time I am at a bookstore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cookbook! Not veggie but as with all good Indian vegetarian books there are plenty of veggie dishes. I have adapted the dish for two people and changed the proportions to reflect my own preference regarding spicing and what i had in the fridge at the time but I was pleased with the outcome and look forward to cooking more from it. I did a great red pepper and paneer dish from it too. I have been blessed with two new cookbooks this month. The other is by Anna Jones, which is vegetarian and is just sublime - do check it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know. I've read good reviews about the one from Anna Jones, and now that you mention it, so now that one has go on my wish list, first i'd like to check it out at the book shops to see if its worthy of my cookbook shelf :) I am a little selective, but I know it will find a place there already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your well Ray, been a while since you've blogged. Hope life is treating you kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do miss your blogging. Hope your well.

    ReplyDelete