Saturday, 28 June 2014

Muttar Paneer


Cheese 'n' peas. What's not to like. This is one of my store cupboard staples, a dish that can be knocked out in under 30 minutes and one that meets the criteria for the eat your greens challenge. 

Occasionally you can find muttar paneer on takeaway menus, usually with a creamy sauce. This is a more austere version and better for it too, in my opinion. It is very simple to make and my version is heavily indebted to Monisha Bharadwaj's India's vegetarian cooking,  a beautifully illustrated collection of regional Indian cooking. I have cooked dozens of her recipes and never been let down. 

Recipe

2 tbs sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
I large green chilli, sliced
250g frozen peas
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder 
Salt
Sugar
Heaped tsp chickpea flour (optional)
100-200 ml water
100g paneer
Lemon or lime juice
Coriander leaf, chopped


Fry the cumin seeds in the oil until slightly darkened then add the fenugreek. Stir in the chilli and peas, then the spices and salt and sugar. I use approx 1/2 tsp of the latter but add to your own taste and palate. I then add the chickpea flour and stir for 30 seconds. This is not in the original recipe but I like the flavour it adds and when the 200ml water is added it helps thicken the sauce without resorting to the addition of cream. Cook for 10 mins. Finally add the chopped paneer and garnish with coriander and lime juice. If I have bought firm shop bought paneer I tend to fry it in ghee first, but if I make this with home-made paneer I like to simply crumble it into the peas. 

This quantity makes enough for 2 main meals. It is good with rice but here I have served it with marmite sourdough and it was delicious. 

This is my first entry into Shaheen's eat your greens challenge

2 comments:

  1. I've snook in your entry into the June #EatYourGreens Challenge. Thank you so so much for entering. I love the peas, but its the paneer that is making me drool and I like how you have made it creamy with the addition of chickpea flour, clever. I can't wait to see your Marmite Sourdough. Once again, Thank you - PS (Blush) I am humbled, but you really don't have to put the EatYourGreens logo in your side bar, but it is really appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well no-one really reads my blog anymore after a year hiatus.... ;)

      Delete